“We believe in the value of people and the power of work.”
Youngstown Area Goodwill Industries offers a variety of programs and services to help individuals in our community prepare for and find meaningful employment.
Originally established in 1893 as the Christ Mission Settlement, Youngstown Area Goodwill Industries has maintained continuous service to the community for over 100 years. Chartered as a 501(c)(3) agency, the organization currently provides and develops services to its clientele in three counties in Ohio (Trumbull, Mahoning and Columbiana) and two in Pennsylvania (Mercer and Lawrence). Governed by a volunteer Board of Trustees, it is an autonomous member of a network of independent, local Goodwill’s in the United States and Canada. Youngstown Area Goodwill Industries holds memberships in a number of professional and business associations at the national, state, regional and local levels and is CARF accredited.
Employment & Training Programs
Our professional staff helps train productive, highly motivated workers. After completing Goodwill’s programs, further training may take place in community-based vocational settings. Ultimately, placement in competitive employment in the community is the goal. Youngstown Area Goodwill Industries offers a variety of programs in pursuit of this goal, including:
- Vocational Evaluation/Assessment
- Work Adjustment
- Work Experience
- Career Readiness
- Job Development and Job Placement
- Career Coaching
Work Experience and Training Settings Include:
- Contracts Services: Goodwill offers a variety of high quality sub-contracting services to business and industry, providing real-world work experience for clients.
- Off-Site Contracts: Goodwill provides a full range of custodial services for private business contracts including hospital recovery/operating rooms, industrial plants, general office buildings, government agencies, schools, doctor’s offices and high security settings. Goodwill’s janitorial crews are skilled in general cleaning, rug and hard floor maintenance, and stripping and waxing.
- Commercial Laundry: A full-service commercial laundry operation, housed at the main complex facility, provides services for area organizations and businesses.
- Retail Sales Training: Our retail program provides training and experience in customer service, stock management, merchandising, and operation of cash registers.
- Contributed Goods: Goodwill conducts collections and processing/recycling operations, providing job training and employment while maintaining inventory levels in ten retail store and donation centers
- Janitorial/Maintenance Training: Provides training in cleaning methods, minor maintenance, painting, minor woodwork and outdoor maintenance.
- Amblyopia Screening Program: Throughout Trumbull, Mahoning, and Columbiana Counties, Goodwill’s volunteers screen preschool children for amblyopia, also known as lazy eye. Trained by the Ohio Department of Health, volunteers use VIP Screening Kits to screen children in daycares and schools.
- Voucher Program: Youngstown Area Goodwill Industries, Inc. partners with other local organization to provide clothing and household good vouchers to individuals in need. Collaborating with partner agencies ensures that needs are addressed holistically and that other issues such as food security, shelter, safety, mental health, and physical health are addressed in conjunction with meeting their needs for household and clothing items.
- Radio Reading: Youngstown Radio Reading Service (YRRS) is a private, non-profit station broadcasting readings of local newspapers, magazines, best-selling books along with presenting talk shows and special interest programs to people experiencing visual impairment across Northeast Ohio and Western Pennsylvania.
Goodwill’s Mission Services Department produces regular reports useful to the ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness and efficiency of services. Outcomes of programs are measured and other indicators of the performance of the program are tracked. Examples of what is measured include client completers, goals met, placements and job success. Consumer satisfaction is gathered, tracked and reported at the conclusion of each program.
CLICK HERE for a printable version of our scope of services.